Tricia,
I went through a similar experience with my licensed copy of Photoshop CS6 when I erased my hard drive and then reinstalled MacOS High Sierra.  I couldn’t get any access to RAW files from my Nikon D3400 camera once the MacOs update was installed.  However, because I have a registered copy of CS6, I was able to join the Adobe Creative Cloud, in contrast to subscribing to a monthly rental agreement for the current version of Photoshop.   Once I joined the Creative Cloud, I had access to the ”patch” that Adobe offered to owners of Licensed copies of CS6 which allowed the program to open and process RAW files.  All other functions remained activated, so my issue was just with being able to process RAW files.   However, you experience might be parallel and there might be “patches” for your licensed copy of Illustrator that will allow it to function on your new MacBook.   The Adobe Creative Cloud is free and is distinguishable from the formal paid subscription you are contemplating.  You might try experimenting with joining that Adobe forum.  Of course, by joining, I have been sent periodic “tips” from Adobe about using the online version, but they’re mostly just more  unwanted solicitations, which I delete as necessary.   Most of the stuff I do in Photoshop can be accomplished with my five or so year old copy and I hope to avoid buying an unnecessary subscription.

I hope this helps.   Perhaps other GNSI members will have some info.

Cheers,
Mike Rothman