Linda,
So far, in the 13+ years I've been using PayPal, I haven't had any bad experiences with them. My understanding about why they need your bank info. is so you can transfer your $ from your PayPal acct to your checking account, OR so that you can use PayPal to pay for things from your bank account if you choose to (if they still do that).
---
Emily S. Damstra
natural science illustration
Guelph, Ontario