Wow, you nailed, it Karen.

And that's another thing I had not thought about, was connectivity to external drives, backups, etc.
I wouldn't mind getting a Mac iPad Pro tablet (prices are lower), but am experiencing a steep learning curve as to what sort of ports it has and what kind of adapters are even possible- or not possible.

I would prefer a laptop with keyboard.  I've gotten along just fine with this MacBookPro with 250GB memory. It's a travel/teaching laptop, not my desktop computer.

I have read and heard really good things about HP and Asus tablets, but the point with all my programs and peripherals being Mac compatible is swaying my decision towards staying with Macs. Only because the workshop begins in 10 days.

The iPad smart keyboard is an extra $150.  No idea if there is a mouse anymore. It might be all touch-screen.

Consumer reports give the same score for all the IPad Pros 10.5".  They give lesser scores for the laptops MacBook Pro 13-inch, but it's really minor. The laptops have much better battery life (like Natalya said).

I can use one of the institutions computers with a flash drive (if they haven't loaned it to another instructor- will have to check that) , I've had to do that before when my laptop died on the plane headed towards the workshop! (Heart palpitations, indeed). My laptop no longer connected to my Dropbox (outdated OS system- blast Dropbox). AND sometimes the classroom does not have WiFi, for me to show videos, so I have them downloaded and can simply run them reliably from the laptop.

So, I try to go prepared to these workshops with all possible backups for both anatomy lectures, to flying bird videos.

I WAS shopping for a new camera, so now I guess it will go towards a new computer.

thank you Karen!
Linda
Linda M. Feltner Artist LLC
P.O. Box 325, Hereford, AZ 85615