I was saddened to hear of the fire that gutted the Brazil Museum and it’s irreplaceable collections of cultural heritage and natural history collections.  Entomologists, I am truly sorry for the loss you must feel.  The hours of collecting and curating are incalculable.  It’s like losing a part of yourself.  More below…

Chirps!!!

Sharon J. Collman

Emeritus Professor, WSU Extension

-----

I have retired from WSU Extension,

but remain professionally active;

for now send bug photos and questions to

From CNN: 9/5/2018

Brazil museum fire

An unimaginable loss. There's no other way to describe the destruction of the 200-year-old National Museum of Brazil, which was gutted in a devastating fire over the weekend. An estimated 20 million artifacts -- spanning 11,000 years -- may have been wiped out in just hours. And Brazilians are angry. Protesters took to the streets over reports linking the fire with government spending cuts and inadequate maintenance of key infrastructure, including the building's sprinkler system. Many protesters claimed money meant to fund restoration projects at the museum had been diverted by the government. A candidate in the country's upcoming presidential election called the fire "a lobotomy of the Brazilian memory."
 Clipped From: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2018/09/news-museu-nacional-fire-rio-de-janeiro-natural-history/

“In terms of [my] life-long research agenda, I'm pretty much lost,” says Marcus Guidoti, a Brazilian entomologist finishing up his Ph.D. in a program co-run by Brazil's Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul.

Guidoti studies lace bugs, an insect family with more than 2,000 species worldwide. The Museu Nacional held one of the world's largest lace bug collections, but the fire likely destroyed it and the rest of the museum's five million arthropod specimens. “Those type specimens can't be replaced, and they are crucial to understand the species,” he says by text message. “If I was willing to keep working on this family in this region of the globe, this was definitely a big hit.”

Snippit from https://www.npr.org/2018/09/03/644355778/crowd-gathers-to-inspect-damage-of-fire-at-brazils-national-museum

“And one of the people who was gathered there was Paulo Magno (ph), a researcher at the museum who's an entomologist. He works with insects.

PAULO MAGNO: (Speaking Portuguese).

REEVES: Magno says he's been collecting and researching insects around Brazil his entire life, and many other researches have done the same. And all that work which is now in the museum has turned to ashes, he says. It's lamentable. Lamentable, he said. “

Certainly more heartbreak and loss will be recorded as time moves slowly by.