On 9/13/18 12:28 PM, Michael A. Ivie wrote:
> Yikes! My apologies to Doug Yanega, this message should have been a
> private reply to a private message.  So sorry, please delete and
> pretend you never saw it.

Mike: I don't have a problem with it, because I think this is not quite
what you think it is (I feel like we're doing a bit from "The Princess
Bride" here), and I don't take it personally. It's not just "my"
document, either. Regardless, the reason we phrased the document this
way, and made it public this way, is specifically to make
recommendations for practice which lie OUTSIDE of the legislative text
of the Code. Appendix A itself is explicitly NOT part of the legislative
text, and it was cited simply to illustrate that the Commission is
taking this opportunity to *make suggestions regarding best practices*,
which is all that Appendix A is and ever has been. For that matter, even
the Recommendations we cite are, technically, NOT legislative. The Code
also says nothing, anywhere, about selecting type specimens that can be
sequenced, but we included that recommendation, as well - and you didn't
criticize it. Again, we are fully aware that there are things in this
document that are not in the Code, let alone mandated by it, *and we
aren't pretending otherwise*. It is worded VERY carefully to distinguish
which things are mandatory, and which things are not, and my original
accompanying message also had a very clear disclaimer about this
document NOT being legislative.

Peace,

              https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__cache.ucr.edu_-7Eheraty_yanega.html&d=DwIDaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=kZQQwPDjdE46Q46TmcyuHD7V2BwFknnyvf5F6qJhMxE&s=ucVT7fQ28Q4v2zgAhzGZf_fdlIV11I9h5IPtdjRXKmk&e=