From: Andrew Brower <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 9:58 AM
To: American Association For The Advancement Of Science <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: The buzz about diversity in science.

Your specimen is a bug (Hemiptera), in the family Scutellaridae, probably Chrysocoris stollii.

Professor Andrew V. Z. Brower
Evolution and Ecology Group
Dept. of Biology, Box 60
Middle Tennessee State University
Murfreesboro, TN 37132

(615) 898-2064

From: "Marietta Damond, Director of Research, AAAS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 9:02 AM
To: Andrew Brower <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: The buzz about diversity in science.

The buzz about diversity in science.
AAAS
Diversity equals success.
Nearly one-fourth of all classified species on Earth are beetles—with more than 100 lineages that can be traced back to the Mesozoic era. Zoologists say there’s a reason for this: Sustained diversification has given beetles an evolutionary leg up. 1

There’s a lesson here: Diversity equals success. And we have to keep at it.

At AAAS we’re doing our part to encourage and promote diversity—both in STEM education and in the science, tech, and engineering professions. But we can’t do it without you.

Whether you’re a career scientist or a passionate champion for science, help AAAS bring fresh perspectives to the world’s toughest questions.
Become a member by August 31 and we’ll send you a free “Diversity—It’s in Our DNA” T-shirt! It’s our way of saying thanks! You’ll also receive your choice of the print or digital edition of Science magazine for an entire year.
Regards,
Marietta Damond, Ph.D.
Director of Research
American Association for the Advancement of Science
Your support makes progress possible.
1. Toby Hunt et al., “A Comprehensive Phylogeny of Beetles Reveals the Evolutionary Origins of a Superradiation,” Science 318 (December 2007): 1913–16, doi:10.1126/science.1146953
fb tw
American Association for the Advancement of Science
1200 New York Avenue, NW
+1-202-326-6417
Washington, DC 20005, USA
+1-866-434-2227(toll-free)
Manage Subscription       Unsubscribe       Privacy Policy
2018 AAAS
This email was sent on behalf of Special Announcements from AAAS to: [log in to unmask]