The only way that AAAS can deal with this embarrassing advertisement will be for them to provide an editorial column about importance of taxonomy and accept culpability for their error in the next issue of SCIENCE.

From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of "Ivie, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, September 21, 2018 at 1:40 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: The buzz about diversity in science.

On 9/21/2018 12:36 PM, Derek Sikes wrote:

Does anyone have a screen shot of the original error?

Would be nice to have a 'voucher' of this mistake!

-Derek

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 10:04 AM Ivie, Michael <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

First, I am serious about this, I am not joking.

I have written to Coleopterist Society President Derek Sikes suggesting that the Coleopterists Society give a special award to the AAAS for the best example of the danger represented by the ongoing decline in taxonomic expertise among the Science community, and invite the President of AAA to receive the award at the Annual Meeting in Vancouver.

Please join me in this proposal by writing to Derek.

Can we turn this into a positive teaching moment?

Mike