You can in fact embed images in InDesign.
https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/graphics-links.html

There are some advantages to having embedded images (not losing files), but I would not encourage it, as it will bloat your InDesign document, and maybe make it harder to manipulate the images with other software. Though apparently you can convert embedded image to linked images these days, it you need to get at them.

Britt