Kathy,

I’m unaware of an option to embed images in InDesign. The command is PLACE, and this links images. If you do a “package” of your document (under the FILE menu), it should collect all images used along with fonts. This is important to do, otherwise if you print a document with broken links to images, the images will not print properly. And finding the images a year from now may not be easy. Once you create a PDF file, then they are embedded in the PDF. You can save PDF files at different quality settings (to manage resolution and compression) to manage file size (especially if being put on the web).

Adobe Illustrator does allow one to embed an image, but Illustrator files are not many pages long as InDesign files tend to be. Yes, Illustrator has dartboards (which are like pages), but you wouldn’t do a 30 page booklet in Illustrator. And Illustrator doesn’t handle spreads.

TIFF is fine. It’s what I used in my Quark days. But it is not necessary. No reason to go back and convert TIFF files at this point. But any more, I leave everything in native format. If file size is a concern, make sure you keep and use a flattened copy of the image. If I am given a JPG, the first thing I do is save it as a Photoshop file to minimize any degradation from lossy compression with subsequent saves.

> On Oct 24, 2018, at 10:40 AM, Kathleen Garness <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Yes!! I see that now under ‘View’ - thank you so much, Karen! So it was a good thing to embed the images as TIFFs in the InDesign files? :) I so appreciate your help!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kathy
>
>> On Oct 24, 2018, at 8:19 AM, Karen Ackoff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> To speed page loading, InDesign displays placed images in lower resolution by default. I’m not in front of my computer, but I think it’s under the View menu. Look for display and choose high resolution display. Also, you can import Photoshop files directly. No need to convert to TIFF.
>>
>> JPEG images use lossy compression are are generally not used for print; you lose data each time you save and images can degrade in quality each time you save them. JPEG is generally used for web so files are smaller and pages load faster. I edit as Photoshop, and only save to JPEG as a last step.

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Oct 24, 2018, at 12:22 AM, Kathleen Garness <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Am just finishing up making what will be a 25-odd page downloadable grayscale PDF with black type. The illustrations were done with the help of Photoshop CS5 then saved as TIFFs to avoid loss when compressing these 5-8mb page-sized files. However - when I imported them into InDesign (same CS5 suite as PS), when viewing them on screen they seem very low-res. (They print out reasonably sharp too.)
>>>
>>> But when I export the InDesign files back to PDFs the pages seem fine. The agency I’m working for, who will be uploading these on their website, will be compiling all the InDesign files into a single PDF once we compile the rest of the resource pages, hence my sending them each individual InDesign file.
>>>
>>> Can anyone explain to me what is happening here, and whether I should have saved them as JPG in the first place and then moved them into InDesign? The final file will be a PDF. Thanks!
>>>
>>> Kathy G
>>>
>>> Subscribe to Sciart-L by completing the form at https://listserv.unl.edu/signup-anon
>>>
>>> List name is Sciart-L

>>> Problems: Email Lana at [log in to unmask]
>>
>> Subscribe to Sciart-L by completing the form at https://listserv.unl.edu/signup-anon
>>
>> List name is Sciart-L

>> Problems: Email Lana at [log in to unmask]
>
> Subscribe to Sciart-L by completing the form at https://listserv.unl.edu/signup-anon
>
> List name is Sciart-L

> Problems: Email Lana at [log in to unmask]

List name is Sciart-L