Last year I drove across the border (Canada to USA) with insect collections in Schmid boxes. Providing a printed list of the species was satisfactory to customs inspectors. That was done after extensive online research and calling the appropriate offices handling these potential issues.

Luc Leblanc

Curator of the William F. Barr Entomological Museum

University of Idaho, Department of Entomology, Plant pathology and Nematology (EPPN)

875 Perimeter Drive MS 2329

Moscow, ID 83844-2329

Phone: 208-885-7079

L'enfance de l'art est la jeunesse du coeur - Sol.


From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Demarco, Bernice <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 9:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Seeking information on international permits for carrying deceased insect specimens across borders - U.S. & Canada

I collected ants in Canada, and needed a collecting permit, but nothing to bring dead ants back across the border.



Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 16, 2018, at 12:52 PM, John Heraty <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

I have never had any problem hand-carrying dead insects (especially pinned insects). I am virtually certain that there are no permits necessary for cross border transport between Canada and the US. The problem is with live insects for which you do need permits.

All the best,

John Heraty

On Oct 16, 2018, at 9:20 AM, Derek Woller <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Fellow entomologists, I am in need of your expertise with paperwork for permits. In a nutshell, I'm a U.S. federal employee and I'm assisting with a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) outreach booth at the upcoming ESA meeting in Vancouver, Canada. I'd like to bring along (handy carry) a small selection (10 or less) of pinned grasshopper specimens for "show and tell," but I was recently told that I'll need permits to do this from both the U.S. and Canada.

Rather than do a deep web dive on trying to figure out what I need to make this happen, I thought it'd be faster to ask people here since I know many of you probably did this sort of thing frequently.

I welcome any advice you may have!

Derek A. Woller, Ph.D.
USDA Entomologist, Rangeland Grasshopper and Mormon Cricket Management Team
Phoenix, AZ, U.S.A.
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Check out my wife's neat Etsy store where you can buy all sorts of neat vinyl decals, especially cool insect ones:<>