Fellow entomologists, I am in need of your expertise with paperwork for permits. In a nutshell, I'm a U.S. federal employee and I'm assisting with a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) outreach booth at the upcoming ESA meeting in Vancouver, Canada. I'd like to bring along (handy carry) a small selection (10 or less) of pinned grasshopper specimens for "show and tell," but I was recently told that I'll need permits to do this from both the U.S. and Canada.

Rather than do a deep web dive on trying to figure out what I need to make this happen, I thought it'd be faster to ask people here since I know many of you probably did this sort of thing frequently.

I welcome any advice you may have!

Derek A. Woller, Ph.D.

USDA Entomologist, Rangeland Grasshopper and Mormon Cricket Management Team

Phoenix, AZ, U.S.A.

Check out my wife's neat Etsy store where you can buy all sorts of neat vinyl decals, especially cool insect ones: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtisticNatureStudio?ref=pr_shop_more