If you use the EDECS system to file the USFWS 3-177 online, and give
yourself time to have it cleared, you can just show the cleared form at
customs when returning to the US. Technically, you also need to file one of
these if you are carrying specimens out of the country, but this is rarely
checked on the US side of the border.
Don't try hand carrying specimens into the US without this form and be sure
to either use a designated port or have a permit to use one that isn't.
Also, be sure to notify USFWS at the port as to when you are arriving, and
arrive during regular business hours.  I've been threatened with arrest for
not documenting that I contacted them ahead of my arrival. They took all my
specimens (2 Schmidt boxes), but returned them after I paid the $100 fee
for using a non-designated port.
Good luck! - Barry

--
-So many mites, so little time!