*Rimsky-Korsakov at 175: A Survey of his Legacy Year on Year*

Deadline: 5 December 2018

Conference dates: 18–20 March 2019

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rkorsakov.ru_research_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=1mEVz1oWMxFiPo3mSgmoWkwoMeC3PahQ5wPJVNNTOvc&s=yirNcoNl_GJ2dxS_hobrNj7qvrCfSOGuIShgdccd2MY&e=

Venue: Rimsky-Korsakov Museum and the St Petersburg Conservatory, Saint
Petersburg, Russia

In 2019, on 18 March, it will be 175 years since the birth of one of
Russia’s most renowned composers – Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov. The main theme
of the conference will be the fate of Rimsky-Korsakov’s legacy from 1908
(the year of his death) until the present day. Over these three days we
will examine the following:

–        Rimsky-Korsakov’s creative work in the context of Soviet and
contemporary music

–        The position of his works in different decades in the context of
changing political regimes

–        The perception of his works worldwide

–        Rimsky-Korsakov’s legacy in contemporary concert and opera practice

The theme of ‘Year on Year’ indicates our wish to build both a linear and
non-linear survey of Rimsky-Korsakov’s creative legacy. Conference papers
will be grouped thematically, and some sessions will be held in the format
of open discussions. The organising committee invites participants, to
offer, alongside traditional papers, specific dates (for instance, 1935,
1950, 1991) and reflect on their significance in the context of the
composer’s long-term legacy, opening up broader topics for discussion.

Therefore, in applications for the conference, we request that speakers
send two proposals thus:

1.      An abstract of around 150 words

2.      A theme for discussion based on a specific year (around 60 words)

Also please add a photograph (not least than 1mb) and biography of 100
words.

All applications for the conference should be sent to Lidia Ader: lidiader
-at- gmail.com

A separate day will be devoted to special meetings of IMS Study Groups:
‘Shostakovich and his Epoch’ and ‘Stravinsky Between East and West’.

A selection of the papers presented will be published in an edited volume.