Hi, Stephen,
I'm on my third iPad and first iPhone, so I can relate. (My phone is an
itty-bitty 5S also, so computing on it is a no-go). Love my iPads for
all the reasons you indicated. I keep my oldest one clamped to my
drawing table in my basement studio. When I need reference pix, I can
get them from the internet or plop my own into Dropbox and have them
handy, no printing as you indicate.

My latest iPad is all-purpose, love it on a trip as it's GPS, library,
portfolio and entertainment hub all in one: I do 99% of my reading now
on the iPad, as I love to be able to look things up quickly as I am
reading, or follow along on a map (even for fiction, that's fun); you
can, of course, watch full programs and movies, and the iPad screen is
far better than a phone screen for that.  I have Keynote presentations
if I want to show off my portfolio (I have several different ones,
sketches, full portfolio, botanical, etc). With a long HDMI cable and an
adapter, I can display my portfolio or photo albums on a TV (the adapter
has an HDMI plus a lightning port, and a short lightning cable end to
plug into the iPad; with the lightning port I can plug in a long
lightning power cable and keep it fired up while the presentation is
running. I believe with Apple TV you can broadcast directly without the
cables but that is a wild guess, as I have Roku.

You can also get an adapter to load up photos from a sim card. and I
just put a lightning/USB flash drive on my Christmas list, that will be
handy.

I have never gone very far using the drawing programs but that's on me
for lack of trying. they are fun but require practice to be able to do
anything good. I bought a Brydge bluetooth keyboard for it and love it,
super quality and it acts as a case to boot.

I have various stylii, including one that has a brush head on it (yes,
it works like a brush!) but I've never used any of them very much.

the biggest problem I've had is switching from the iPad to Bob's laptop,
I'm constantly trying to move stuff on the screen and gosh, it doesn't
work that way!!  LOL.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know. enjoy!

--Gail

(PS - I passed on the 2nd iPad to Bob, he enjoys the games)

--
Gail Guth
Guth Illustration & Design

List name is Sciart-L