The following probably won't sit well with the museum community but the
point made about 90%+ of specimens belonging to common species is key.

I've been envisioning a robotic Malaise trap system that can be set to run
all season by itself. It captures temp & precip data and every week weighs
its trap catch and dumps it into a waste container for later disposal. It
sends these data weekly to a server.

All we'd get from this is flying insect biomass but if these were run in
many places for many decades we'd have an incredible dataset. If insect
populations are crashing globally this sort of sampling would provide very
valuable data.

Of course we need to continue to sample for biodiversity to get all species
represented in our museums and catalogs but currently we have no good
system for biomass sampling that can tell us about insect *abundance*.

The few long term studies that actually had consistent methods that
measured abundance/biomass, like the one from Germany, are remarkable but
the reason they're rare is it's very hard to do something complicated for
30+ years. It needs to be simple if it's to be widespread.

I'd think the LTEMP / NEON folks would love this idea.

-Derek

--

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Derek S. Sikes, Curator of Insects

phone: 907-474-6278
FAX: 907-474-5469

University of Alaska Museum  -  search 400,276 digitized arthropod records
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__arctos.database.museum_uam-5Fento-5Fall&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=gFK9UA2dCB1lN1QHVapvlX76I6u1R3JuS3MoAlo_RB4&s=qs6QRslf1S9SILeGYRR7o1_TqoPvChfQhfynKBIAWbo&e=
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.uaf.edu_museum_collections_ento_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=gFK9UA2dCB1lN1QHVapvlX76I6u1R3JuS3MoAlo_RB4&s=nzE2A8WGnWdD2zoE-R2IjvxizDa3UbnJn2ML8vfArgI&e=>

Society and / or sign up for the email listserv "Alaska Entomological
Network" at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.akentsoc.org_contact-5Fus&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=gFK9UA2dCB1lN1QHVapvlX76I6u1R3JuS3MoAlo_RB4&s=6sVhCOtfbl9t5DBFXBJ84bKSA4L6K23mrDMhioIhh28&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.akentsoc.org_contact.php&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=gFK9UA2dCB1lN1QHVapvlX76I6u1R3JuS3MoAlo_RB4&s=0VIhIBRLbsdb6pH4D86UbZwCgPbA_CMp3ooS-pRD6SY&e=>