The Ecosphere paper[1] on NEON's pitfall trapping is also a good intro
to the overall design of the NEON project, for those not familiar.All of NEON's sampling protocols could be described as "modular", since
they have to be applied to dozens of field sites in a variety of
habitats. They could serve as a model for monitoring protocols using
other collecting methods, and of course the existing protocols can be
followed by anyone wishing to collect comparable data.
NEON was also designed with the idea that it can serve as a framework
for researchers to add on to, so something like the malaise trap idea
could be applied at every NEON site if someone had the funding to do it.Each site is already equipped with flux towers taking constant
measurements of temperature, light, wind, precipitation, CO2
concentrations, etc, in addition to the data collected by all the other
NEON sampling protocols.Servicing malaise traps and weighing the samples would be
straightforward for technicians, so there wouldn't be a need for
automation. Plus, each NEON site has technicians already capable of
identifying ground beetles, so rather than being discarded the samples
could provide additional data on carabids that don't often show up in
the pitfalls. The remaining sample could then be archived, like the
bycatch from pitfalls, so the biodiversity data would at least be
retrievable someday/somehow.
Some other relevant NEON links:
-Dr. Weiser's lab at University of Oklahoma, using NEON's invertebrate
bycatch to develop tools for identifying and measuring biomass/abundance
of arthropods in raw samples: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__weiser.ou.edu_research.html-2Dmain&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=kPo7DO9Xy8-AoAiLioVf762_X-cDbwd-9wtlEaFgIbs&s=ldPgxhfcvLVQQ4Jt55l_DOxix6L7A83Uhqj9HuvkNi8&e= NEON website: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.neonscience.org_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=kPo7DO9Xy8-AoAiLioVf762_X-cDbwd-9wtlEaFgIbs&s=dIdiPUdFJ0k9LzTfAiCGesPUURt6m2k7MOeTAsI2ztU&e=
-NEON data portal: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__data.neonscience.org_home&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=kPo7DO9Xy8-AoAiLioVf762_X-cDbwd-9wtlEaFgIbs&s=TUT8beWvGOMfUSPF5hO4ANHMEAdKuh1oSO96kocZ8LQ&e=

>>> Mike____

>>> __ __

>>> __ __

>>> __ __

>>> -- ____

>>> Michael L. Ferro
>>> Collection Manager, Clemson University Arthropod Collection (CUAC)
>>> Dept. of Plant and Environmental Sciences
>>> 277 Poole Agricultural Center
>>> Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-0310____
>>>

>>> OFFICE: 307 Long Hall____

>>> [log in to unmask] (preferred)
>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_site_clemsonarthropodcollection_-5B6-5D-5F-5F-5F-5F&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=kPo7DO9Xy8-AoAiLioVf762_X-cDbwd-9wtlEaFgIbs&s=HZwnKCnJlJbggnbNMwg5duSA8azLPt6F-HHH2Ymtr4U&e=
>>>

>>> Subject Editor: The Coleopterists Bulletin; Insecta Mundi____

>>> Residue Photos: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__photos.app.goo.gl_EVknqBNJO28tfcHg2-5B7-5D&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=kPo7DO9Xy8-AoAiLioVf762_X-cDbwd-9wtlEaFgIbs&s=k0Mnjs9wGSrX_xy9VWFC2hJiuPsHR4gUDemxGsp2wkU&e=>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__photos.app.goo.gl_KWJY6VHoFybAq8FL2-5B8-5D-5F-5F-5F-5F&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=kPo7DO9Xy8-AoAiLioVf762_X-cDbwd-9wtlEaFgIbs&s=8Buc0Q6ENpurY9OiLUObuC8YEynlMNJjpN4_OMrrG8w&e=
>>>

>> __ __

Curt Harden
1500 Remount Rd
Front Royal, VA 22630
434.251.6779 (cell)

Links:

  1. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com_doi_full_10.1002_ecs2.1744&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=kPo7DO9Xy8-AoAiLioVf762_X-cDbwd-9wtlEaFgIbs&s=dT4eoIPemKH6do7rvbXVE3xbM6DUFFYxgKiuEkPJytI&e=
  2. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.caragibson.com_&d=DwMFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=lHGqYjyWq44jOf1V8i_msw&m=18SrgI1XENrwhO1aKD_DtlfmlR3JrSDxtQSfan1BqBA&s=4_vFQHdMfmB4J7e06sBPsRn84UnmxLpGRKV8b4EQ0uc&e=
  3. mailto:[log in to unmask]
  4. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__nyti.ms_2DMT70v&d=DwMFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=KWkxPZKWsiN5f4FjIdS75YWNsGXgXjp_a139h2xIaRU&s=84c2F7WxmnaMiyr9LfMQRuJfuqfP-AeLUxFWlgS2P1s&e=
  5. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__listserv.unl.edu_cgi-2Dbin_wa-3FA2-3DECN-2DL-3B3743ad37.1709E&d=DwMF-g&c=ODFT-G5SujMiGrKuoJJjVg&r=o3NX3ziNMvJ-_rfeWMy9VA&m=AxNGukHbBUCer6_fbV65n4jy5txFFvUwEibsR9ahXwY&s=teDadjmhfZEyQ3qX1rYerdkzO-MyaFuJWVWxvqpL3dE&e=
  6. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_site_clemsonarthropodcollection_&d=DwMFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=KWkxPZKWsiN5f4FjIdS75YWNsGXgXjp_a139h2xIaRU&s=--CrwF-hmpLCBy0jnQph8BBZTwS8-OlenGfp2ipZ2AE&e=
  7. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__photos.app.goo.gl_EVknqBNJO28tfcHg2&d=DwMFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=KWkxPZKWsiN5f4FjIdS75YWNsGXgXjp_a139h2xIaRU&s=eEO8_2emg7wnqi5a9c16-4QiNPQ6fAaZoFtLh20wsxI&e=
  8. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__photos.app.goo.gl_KWJY6VHoFybAq8FL2&d=DwMFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=KWkxPZKWsiN5f4FjIdS75YWNsGXgXjp_a139h2xIaRU&s=aIL71vxxnBgNjJk60Zyw5pMw4lbeltftADGVg8aMN-8&e=