Thank you Anthony and John. The obituary was very helpful but I eventually found her through her husbands name. Happened to find an active phone number for him and he's still alive, although she unfortunately passed a while ago. I am in contact with the husband. Hopefully we will have more information or an article about her coming soon. Thank you so much for the assistance.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 8:51 AM Coddington, Jonathan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

It was Ann, not Anne. Could be:

Name:Frances Ann McKittrick
[Frances Ann Watkins]
[Frances Watkins] Gender:FemaleRace:WhiteBirth Date:22 Mar 1935Birth Place:East Grinste, United KingdomDeath Date:10 Nov 2001Father:Thomas H McKittrickMother:Marjorie BensonSSN:086321739Notes:Jun 1957: Name listed as FRANCES ANN MCKITTRICK; Oct 1966: Name listed as FRANCES ANN WATKINS; 29 Nov 2001: Name listed as FRANCES M WATKINS

From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Dominic Evangelista
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2018 1:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Help looking for Frances Anne McKittrick

Greetings,

First, apologies if you have received another email about this from me.

I am emailing regarding Frances Anne McKittrick. She published her PhD thesis (McKittrick, F.A. (1964) Evolutionary studies of cockroaches. Cornell Experiment Station Memoir, 389, 1-134.) and not much else. Despite this minimal number of publications she is regarded very highly among cockroach systematists and she was the first scientist to suggest one specific phylogenetic relationship that we have now recovered with a high degree of support and will be naming after her (paper currently provisionally accepted).

The purpose of this email is to se if anyone can assist with two tasks: 1) finding any information that I could possibly use to contact her family or 2) a photo of her. We wish to contact the family to first inform them that we are naming a major taxon after her and also to potentially involve them in press about the article. I wish to get a photo of her, also to include in press about the article. By helping us in this you will be assisting in bringing deserved light to a very important female scientist. She is exactly the type of person whose face needs to be prominent in entomology.

Any assistance anyone might provide could be extremely appreciated. Maybe someone has one of the books she illustrated (one is listed here <https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/10815108> but I can't find any others) and it might have more information about her. To assist, I have copied some other information about her below and attached an image of the forward to her published dissertation, which contains information about her various collaborations and research visits.

Born: 1935

PhD Adviser: Thomas Eisner

Bio of her written by Louis Roth in 2002: "Frances A, McKittrick (1935 - ): Although McKittrick has very few publications, her Ph.D. thesis (McKittrick 1964) revised our concepts of cockroach taxonomy, and warrants her being included with the recent masters. This study has stimulated considerable present day research in the taxonomy and phylogeny of Blattaria, and although some changes and additions have been or will have to be made, her work will be the base for future studies on cockroach taxonomy.

McKittrick has always been interested in insects and apparently was influenced by her father, "an accomplished amateur naturalist who would not tolerate fear of bugs or snakes." She received her B.S. degree from Cornell University in 1957, and after graduating worked in the Cornell region as a

free lance scientific illustrator, although she never studied art formally; her family has produced artists for several generations. Dr. Thomas Eisner convinced her to study for her Ph.D., with him as her advisor. After earning her Ph.D. she came to Florida in 1965, where she lives today, indulging her love

for horses and cows. Her husband, William N. Watkins, a retired professional photographer, has been instrumental in helping her develop a technique for posing and photographing specimens so as to produce images of the highest quality. She has illustrated at least 5 books on fishes, mammals, bird embryos, and chromosomes, (personal communication, and from Encyclopedia of Fishing). I have named one species after her."

--

Dominic Evangelista, PhD

| NSF Postdoctoral fellow                           |

| Muséum national d'Histoire naturelle              |

CNRS, Université Sorbonne EPHE                    |

| Institut de Systématique, Evolution, Biodiversité |

| 45 Rue Buffon, CP50 Paris, France 75005           |

| Post-Doctoral Research Associate                  |

| Department of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology      |

| The University of Tennessee, Knoxville            |

| RoachBrain.com | Twitter: @Roach_Brain            |