Bill,

"and biomass alone is obviously a poor indicator of numbers of individuals.
"

I found this statement interesting because I would assume that as # of
individuals increases biomass also increases. And indeed, these are
significantly correlated (but not always strongly).

see beetle data in Saint-Germain, M., , Buddle, C.M., Larrivée, M.,
Mercado, A., Motchula, T., Reichert, E., Sackett, T.E., Sylvain, Z. and
Webb, A., 2007. Should biomass be considered more frequently as a currency
in terrestrial arthropod community analyses?. Journal of Applied Ecology,
44(2): 330-339.

Yes, you can have the same biomass from few individuals that are large as
you can from many individuals that are small, but nature tends to assemble
communities with a fairly standard mixture of large to small.

If globally widespread biomass sampling shows declines in biomass we can
hypothesize that this indicates a decline in individuals (rather than a
replacement of large individuals with smaller individuals - although that
pattern has been seen in ocean trophy fish but it would be surprising to
see it in insects such as Diptera). In any case, it would be an easy test
to perform.

& point well made about 2 sample periods separated by decades (like the
Puerto Rico study). The Germany & Greenland studies had annual data. The
Greenland study wasn't mentioned in the NYT article. It's this: Loboda, S.,
Savage, J., Buddle, C.M., Schmidt, N.M. and Høye, T.T., 2018. Declining
diversity and abundance of High Arctic fly assemblages over two decades of
rapid climate warming. Ecography, 41(2): 265-277.

"A significant decrease of 80% of total muscid abundance was observed
during the study period."

Your longterm data could be another great and rare source to investigate
these issues.

-Derek

--

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.uaf.edu_museum_collections_ento_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=hPaqElEtamOnKHBV6U3oVekXT5D_EYhbTDdLfE4jxZY&s=keA7bB9svsTwNkvpAPbW82JW3sBQqgrwEExsQzWd1h4&e=>

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.akentsoc.org_contact-5Fus&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=hPaqElEtamOnKHBV6U3oVekXT5D_EYhbTDdLfE4jxZY&s=-XWMSQzP_bSXetz5HLUPT-8nl7i15jrt3Gkz5LpkA1E&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.akentsoc.org_contact.php&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=hPaqElEtamOnKHBV6U3oVekXT5D_EYhbTDdLfE4jxZY&s=FiJ8jYFiF997TJ0U6MOvmGCKuVq8juRDcHkrCeXVEpo&e=>