Hi Tim,
Did you see this piece from the New  York Fed? It does contain balance series:
https://libertystreeteconomics.newyorkfed.org/2018/11/is-the-united-states-relying-on-foreign-investors-to-fund-its-larger-budget-deficit.html
Greg

Greg Hannsgen, Ph.D.
Greg Hannsgen's Economics Blog
Research Associate, Levy Economics Institute of Bard College

economics website: https://greghannsgen.org
Page with information about me and my work, including where my working papers can be found:
https://greghannsgen.org/greg-hannsgens-economics-blog/

You may also by interested in this noneconomics project of mine: https://healthyveganhudsonvalley.com