Dear AFEE folks,

I have a series of Principles books that will be coming out over the next year from Routledge. The first book, entitled The Evolution of Economic Ideas and Systems: A Pluralist Introduction, will be out in two weeks.

This book is intended as a supplement to a standard Principles text for instructors who want their students to understand the discipline more broadly. In the first chapter, I describe and contrast mainstream and various heterodox approaches. Subsequently, the book describes the evolution of economic systems prior to capitalism (readers will recognize the Polanyi-derived focus here). I then take up Smith, Marx, Veblen, Keynes and Hayek in the historical context in which their ideas appeared. The book concludes with a chapter on modern economic systems that contrasts U.S. style capitalism with European social democracies and state-dominated economic systems such as the one in China.

In March, the second book in the series will be available, entitled Microeconomic Principles and Problems: A Pluralist Introduction. It will include the history and history of thought material, some standard mainstream micro, some behavioral economics, and lots of heterodox insights on micro as well. This is a multi-paradigmatic book that contrasts mainstream economics with heterodox economics on each major topic.

By late 2019, the Macro Principles and full Principles texts should also be available.

Let me know if you would like more information about the books.

All my best,

Geoff Schneider

Geoff Schneider
Professor of Economics, Bucknell University
Office: 128 Academic West
Address: 1 Dent Drive, Lewisburg, PA 17837
Email: [log in to unmask]
Office Phone: 570-577-1666