Dear Colleagues,

Greetings from THEMUS, Temple University’s Theory, History, and
Ethnomusicology Society.

The proposal deadline for our sixth annual graduate conference is just over
two weeks away! We welcome paper topics related to theory, analysis,
musicology, popular music, performance, technology, and ethnomusicology
from graduate students at any point in their course of study for our
conference on Saturday, 6 April 2019. In addition, we welcome proposals for
an afternoon session devoted to performance practice to be held on Friday,
5 April 2019. Research relating to any genre and period will be considered.
Proposals should be designed for a 20-minute presentation/10-minute
discussion format.

Our keynote speakers will be Professor Rebecca Cypess of Rutgers University
(Friday) and Professor Seth Monahan of Eastman School of Music (Saturday).
Professor Cypess is the author of Curious & Modern Inventions: Instrumental
Music as Discovery in Galileo’s Italy (University of Chicago Press), along
with articles and chapters on 17th- and 18th-century performance practices,
music in Jewish culture, and women in music. Professor Monahan is the
author of Mahler’s Symphonic Sonatas (Oxford University Press) and numerous
articles and chapters on music of the 18th and 19th centuries, as well as
music theory pedagogy.

Please visit the conference URL (below) for submission instructions and
other conference details. You can also email your questions to themus.tu
-at- gmail.com, or follow us on Facebook for additional program information
as it becomes available.

Submission Deadline: 15 December 2018
Conference Dates: Friday and Saturday, 5–6 April 2019
Conference URL:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_a_temple.edu_themus_graduate-2Dconference&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=3n8PS_jlgXiRbEtxh8HTVprwQhTqy-9muLrOzhati3Q&s=YDVbHXoRKg1j2juK0bU0a5W76iTjhA6uswmsv1Ri3p0&e=
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_a_temple.edu_themus_graduate-2Dconference_2019-2Dconference&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=3n8PS_jlgXiRbEtxh8HTVprwQhTqy-9muLrOzhati3Q&s=d6I2MUXhYBzVKBBbTMR6y9hrkcnUZp9TqJKFhblB70E&e=>
Venue: Temple University (Main Campus), Philadelphia, PA

With Best Wishes,

THEMUS Executive Board

Lydia Huang, President
Matthew Kiple, President-Elect
Timothy Lewis Gonzalez, Past-President/Conference Chair
Stephanie George, Treasurer
Andrew Shaw, Secretary