Dear Colleagues,

Greetings from THEMUS, Temple University’s Theory, History, and Ethnomusicology Society.

The proposal deadline for our sixth annual graduate conference is just over two weeks away! We welcome paper topics related to theory, analysis, musicology, popular music, performance, technology, and ethnomusicology from graduate students at any point in their course of study for our conference on Saturday, 6 April 2019. In addition, we welcome proposals for an afternoon session devoted to performance practice to be held on Friday, 5 April 2019. Research relating to any genre and period will be considered. Proposals should be designed for a 20-minute presentation/10-minute discussion format.

Our keynote speakers will be Professor Rebecca Cypess of Rutgers University (Friday) and Professor Seth Monahan of Eastman School of Music (Saturday). Professor Cypess is the author of Curious & Modern Inventions: Instrumental Music as Discovery in Galileo’s Italy (University of Chicago Press), along with articles and chapters on 17th- and 18th-century performance practices, music in Jewish culture, and women in music. Professor Monahan is the author of Mahler’s Symphonic Sonatas (Oxford University Press) and numerous articles and chapters on music of the 18th and 19th centuries, as well as music theory pedagogy.

Please visit the conference URL (below) for submission instructions and other conference details. You can also email your questions to themus.tu -at- gmail.com, or follow us on Facebook for additional program information as it becomes available.

Submission Deadline: 15 December 2018
Conference Dates: Friday and Saturday, 5–6 April 2019
Venue: Temple University (Main Campus), Philadelphia, PA

With Best Wishes,

THEMUS Executive Board

Lydia Huang, President
Matthew Kiple, President-Elect
Timothy Lewis Gonzalez, Past-President/Conference Chair
Stephanie George, Treasurer
Andrew Shaw, Secretary