Study Day

Music and Democracy: beyond Metaphors and Idealization

21 June 2019, University of Huddersfield

Convened by Igor Contreras Zubillaga (British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow,
University of Huddersfield) and Robert Adlington (University of
Huddersfield)

Keynote speaker: Esteban Buch (CRAL/EHESS, Paris)

This study day – the first one of a series of three – aims to interrogate
what Georgina Born has termed ‘the experimental and novel socialities,
imagined communities and social and institutional conditions summoned into
being’ by ‘democratic’ forms of music-making. What is the nature of a
‘democratic ideal’ in music (or art-making more widely)? What is achieved,
politically, by rethinking the way in which music is made? When does such
rethinking affect the wider domain of social relations, and when does it
not? If democratic music-making can help with the wider democratisation of
social life, how does it do so? When and how is ‘democratic’ music more
than just a metaphor? We invite proposals from scholars working in any
discipline for papers exploring these and related questions in relation to
any musical practice. Papers will be 30-minutes in length with 15 minutes
of discussion time, to enable the fullest exchange. Please submit proposals
(250-300 words) to I.ContrerasZubillaga -at- hud.ac.uk by the deadline Thursday
31 January 2019.

See the full CFP at: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__musicdemocracystudydays.wordpress.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=LxAmB-rk58RCflWUnOm8fxhSE43LEtWp8K7959qxCTs&s=YKkXRfVJss2mBuLf2mZpuI7FtdDnFkLH5kHBohAyCqQ&e=