I have received a request for illustration submissions for usage purchase from a design firm in Los Angeles and wanted to pass it on to anyone who may be interested. KBDA https://kbda.com/  is designing and implementing an environmental graphic design project for Descanso Gardens and is interested in purchasing and/or commissioning illustrations.

Here are my disclaimers up front:
Please note that this request is coming directly from KBDA. Please do NOT contact Descanso Gardens about this project; please use the KBDA contact listed below. I only know what’s in this post below, and have not vetted any of the information; I’m passing it along.

The timeline is short; submissions are due to be emailed by December 27, 2018. All finished art is due by mid-January. If you are interested, please read the following instructions carefully.

Liz Burrill is the graphic designer working for KBDA in Los Angeles who is in charge of this project. KBDA is inquiring about possible, existing and/or commission of botanical, bird, insect and pollinator illustrations. The illustrations will be included on way-finding and informational panels of four-sided signs placed throughout the Garden—nine (9) signs in all. They will be used at about 10” - 12” square, and may possibly be cropped by KBDA to fit in the design.

KBDA will be needing a variety of illustrations for the final signs. They've started by identifying a specific list they are hoping to represent. They are searching for existing art, but also may need to commission some pieces.

They are interested in illustrations of the varieties listed below for the Descanso project. We have been invited to forward any appropriate low-resolution files directly to Liz (contact information below) with file names that are easily matched to those on the list. Of course, if your artwork is selected, KBDA will need high-resolution scans.

Please include the following information in your email to Liz:

KBDA completely understands that we may not have some of the specific species in the lists below. They have encouraged us to submit anything that seems close.

If your artwork is selected, KBDA will work with you on the specifications for the final scans and/or commissioned artwork.

Please email your information and images directly to Liz Burrill at: [log in to unmask]

————

Here is the complete list of species:

———

CALIFORNIA NATIVES
Encelia californica (bush sunflower)
Penstemon centranthifolius (scarlet bugler)
Salvia mellifera
Eschscholzia californica (California poppy)
Quercus berberidifolia (scrub oak)
Nassella pulchra
Elymus condensatus
Baccharis pilularis
Malosma Laurina
Verbena lilacina 'De La Mina’
Salvia spathacea 'Powerline Pink’
Arctostaphylos densiflora 'Howard McMinn' (one of the first manzanitas planted at DG)
Romneya coulteri (Matilja poppy)
Aesculus californica (California buckeye)
Cercis occidentalis (Western redbud)
Coast Live Oak acorn/leaves

------

CYCADS
Encephalartos altensteinii
Encephalartos natalensis
Cycas thouarsii
Dioon edule (has bright red seeds)
Encephalartos princeps

-------

CAMELLiAS
Camellia japonica ‘Hikarugenji'
Camellia japonica 'Daikagura’
Camellia japonica ‘Hanafuki'
Camellia sasanqua 'Narumigata'
Camellia japonica 'Debutante' (pink)
Camellia japonica 'Grand Sultan' (red)

———

JAPANESE MAPLES
Acer palmatum 'Crimson Queen’
Acer palmatum ‘Atropurpureum'
Acer palmatum 'Seiryu’
Bloodgood

-------

CHERRY BLOSSOMS
Prunus x yedoensis 'Akebono'
Prunus serrulata 'Beni Hoshi’

-------

JUNIPER
Juniperus chinensis 'Kaizuka'

-------

PINE
Pinus thunbergii (Japanese black pine)

———

FLOWERS WITH POLLINATORS
Scabiosa (butterflies)
Bearded iris (bees)
Ladybugs with yarrow, feverfew or daisy-type blooms

———

BIRDS
Ducks
Herons

———

OLIVES
Olea europaea (Or any similar variety)

-------

SUCCULENTS
Agave

———

ROSES
Rosa 'Chrysler Imperial’
'Queen Elizabeth’
'Charlotte Armstrong
All Lammerts varieties
Rosa 'Old Blush'
'Fortune's Double Yellow' (old garden roses)
David Austin cultivars

Cheers!

Deb

Deborah B Shaw