Here’s a draft text introduction.

Guild of Natural Science Illustrators 51st Annual Conference

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

June 29th – July 6th 2019

Join us in Brisbane for our second ever overseas conference, as a long wished-for Australian conference becomes a reality. Learn and share with local Australian and more familiar presenters in presentations, technique sharing and workshops. Explore the fabulous subtropical environs, from ancient rainforests to Moreton Bay and its great sandy islands, in field trips and local educational tours.

Although airfares from the US will be expensive, once you arrive a favourable exchange rate will make accommodation, food and everything else very reasonable. At the time of writing one US dollar bought $1.40AUS.

About the Conference

Host Campus: University of Queensland, St Lucia campus.

Registration Opens: 2019

The GNSI conference brings together illustrators, artists, educators, and scientists from all over the world in a celebration of natural science illustration and visualization.

The three-day CORE CONFERENCE (Monday-Wednesday) includes:

Presentations by top visual interpreters,

Portfolio sharing,

Annual juried art exhibit opening reception,

A lively and entertaining auction (benefiting the Guild’s education fund),

Technique demonstrations, and

The awards banquet.

From Thursday to Saturday, you can select from a wide-range of activities in:

Hands-on workshops in traditional techniques,

Digital techniques in State of the Art computer labs

Educational field trips or tours.

About Brisbane

Brisbane is a multicultural, subtropical city of about 2.2 million people, the third largest city in Australia. It is the capital of Queensland, situated in the SE corner of that huge state. The average temperature in Brisbane in July is between 59F and 68F, though higher temperatures are not uncommon. Brisbane winters are famous for their clear blue skies and balmy weather. https://www.visitbrisbane.com.au/

Queensland is the state of the Great Barrier Reef, of rainforests, deserts, mangroves, bush, the tallest sand hills in the world and the largest sand island in the world. The eastern coast stretches 1720 miles from Coolangatta to Cape York.
https://www.queensland.com/

Brisbane sits on the Brisbane River, a large tidal river surrounded by a ring of hills, flowing into Moreton Bay, which is itself enclosed by great sandy islands. Subtropical rainforest can still be found less than an hour’s drive from the city. Here are several local zoos where native wildlife can be seen and sketched. You can cuddle a koala at Lone Pine Sanctuary https://www.koala.net/en-au/ or do a day trip north to visit “Australia Zoo” https://www.australiazoo.com.au/ created by the late Crocodile Man, Steve Irwin. Parrots, kookaburras, cockatoos, possums, magpies and butcher birds are commonly seen in the suburbs.

Conference Venues

The University of Queensland (UQ)’s St Lucia Campus https://campuses.uq.edu.au/st-lucia sits on a stunning 280-acre site, on the river at St Lucia, 7 kilometres (4.35 miles) from Brisbane’s CBD. The campus has extensive landscaped grounds, with three lakes, and all the facilities of a large University. It fans out from a 1930s, heritage-listed sandstone cloister enclosing the Great Court. There is plenty of wildlife on campus.

The campus has very good bus and ferry links to the city and Queensland Cultural Centre. Buses run via a green bridge (closed to car traffic) and a dedicated busway with stations like a train line, while the City Cat ferries are a fast and enjoyable way to get around on our beautiful river.

We have booked accommodation at Women’s College. The college is centred round a beautiful mid-century dining hall and has many of the meeting rooms we will use for the conference. It boasts a range of accommodations and has a reputation for the best food on campus.
http://www.womens.uq.edu.au/conference-accommodation

Interested?

If you’re interested in attending this conference and have not yet done so, please fill out this expression of interest form.