Hi Taina,

My favourite bird book for NZ is Birds of New Zealand: a photographic guide by Paul Scofield & Brent Stephenson (see here) for its comprehensiveness and extensive photos. I also really like 'Which NZ Bird?' by Andrew Crowe, its got the most common birds only but nice illustrations and a great overview. Andrew Crowe does lots of natural history ID guides here in NZ so might be good to look at for other guides too.
My top pick for a plant guide is more for tree diagnostic ID: 'Field Guide to New Zealand's Native Trees' by John Dawson and Rob Lucas. Not sure on which book would be best for South Island though.... Another good plant book is 'Nature Guide to the New Zealand Forest' by the same authors, which gives a great overview of all aspects of the NZ forest flora.

Hope that helps and you have a great trip over here!!

Emma