Are you seeing this with brand new jars or one you have used previously? If the former, contact the manufacturer and let them know about the problem.

If the latter, I have three suggestions:

immediately after use, clean off all the gesso from right inside the edges of the container, especially inside the cap and jar threads, and even a bit down the edge of the jar (this works great for all kinds of paint and varnishes, too);

when finished using the gesso, downsize it into the smallest (labeled) container possible so that there is less chance air will build up inside the container and dry off those edges;

put a barrier (such as plastic wrap) on top of the gesso if you can’t (or don’t want to) downsize the jar.

Kathy

> On Jan 31, 2019, at 10:59 AM, Bruce Bartrug <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm so annoyed with Golden Gesso.....not the product especially, but the container in which it's sold.  Unscrew the cap and cured gesso immediately cracks into hard chips.  A few of which always seem to find their way into the coat I'm applying.  Suggestions?
>
> bab
>
> --
> Bruce Bartrug
> Nobleboro, Maine, USA
> www.brucebartrug.com <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.brucebartrug.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=AGYZ7-AeerjxzYnIwL-lBLFI3SPYN3BDmku4qGQB4Tg&m=_YOC3DQgdPjJNbQM65c92cfTerVed7UpoeCxICIevP8&s=5qjd3fllKqZAHYkEqFjfyhPW3nvM7o65fjVEDqiOpIY&e=>
>
> •The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.  - Albert Einstein
> •In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.gnsi.org_resources_reviews_gnsi-2Dsciart-2Dl-2Dlistserv&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=AGYZ7-AeerjxzYnIwL-lBLFI3SPYN3BDmku4qGQB4Tg&m=QJ-C2iIKrmLB7z8uqoUpDbkiQci4wtN31vaPIoHgPos&s=Rk_cgNa38iHkIJ_p_BZRcqAGUOSZxWbrJY-anCooD1g&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.gnsi.org_resources_reviews_gnsi-2Dsciart-2Dl-2Dlistserv&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=AGYZ7-AeerjxzYnIwL-lBLFI3SPYN3BDmku4qGQB4Tg&m=QJ-C2iIKrmLB7z8uqoUpDbkiQci4wtN31vaPIoHgPos&s=Rk_cgNa38iHkIJ_p_BZRcqAGUOSZxWbrJY-anCooD1g&e=>

List name is Sciart-L