Good question Michael Rothman.

My logic tells me that ASCRL will do better for us - be more effective.  ASCRL is a non-profit and their Board seems top notch (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.ascrl.org_who-2Dwe-2Dare.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=AGYZ7-AeerjxzYnIwL-lBLFI3SPYN3BDmku4qGQB4Tg&m=yypvveN8Qz7swnuXZwKxWiWPicKZLUW6hZrRIQQV8Mk&s=NrYCOLWzN-DlRjohGK1DYncZFghIaDVD4zZb2qtazDU&e=).  The other - ARS - is a private company contracted to by a non-profit (ASIP), so they have no legal obligation for financial transparency.   ASIP has some really exceptional, dedicated people on their Board too, but ARS and ASIP have been applying themselves to the task of collecting and disbursing these royalties since ASIP formed in 2007 and no illustrator has seen a dime yet.  ASCRL, though a new organization, inspired enough confidence on the part of several European Societies that they were handed $200,000 to work up an on-line financial management platform system to do long term, ongoing, disbursements to American Illustrators. Now that system is ready to go and they already have over $300,000 to hand out.

Currently, ARS is marketing themselves as the only American organization that can issue an IPI (Interested party information) number. This is a unique identifying number assigned by the CISAC database to each Interested Party in collective rights management.  CISAC is the International Confederation of Societies of Authors and Composers and is the world’s leading network of authors’ societies.  (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.cisac.org_Who-2DWe-2DAre&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=AGYZ7-AeerjxzYnIwL-lBLFI3SPYN3BDmku4qGQB4Tg&m=yypvveN8Qz7swnuXZwKxWiWPicKZLUW6hZrRIQQV8Mk&s=K5aMpyvVJWav4Oi-2jv_GuV3VYH_pqjdgi2gtE05ckI&e=) With 239 member societies in 122 countries, CISAC represents more than 4 million creators from all geographic areas and all artistic repertoires; music, audiovisual, drama, literature and visual arts.  It is my understanding, having spoken with ASCRL Board members, that ASCRL is in the process of joining CISAC, and already has access to that same group of member societies.   Many of the international collecting societies do not require IPI numbers for their distributions.

I have been asked to be on the ASCRL Advisory Board and have accepted, as I have confidence in the people I have met who are involved.

Taina

--
Taina Litwak
Litwak Illustration Studio

tel: 301-527-0569
mobile: 240-750-9245

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__agresearchmag.ars.usda.gov_2014_sep_insect_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=AGYZ7-AeerjxzYnIwL-lBLFI3SPYN3BDmku4qGQB4Tg&m=yypvveN8Qz7swnuXZwKxWiWPicKZLUW6hZrRIQQV8Mk&s=Ef60NTwu3j9O8k0361AYDwI9kWtfA0hq6r6-ur-yge0&e=

List name is Sciart-L