One thing I do with both gesso and containers of paint is to take a small water spray bottle - such as a travel container (the water particles are nice and small) - fill it with distilled water (to help avoid mold issues), then lightly spray the water into the jar before putting the lid back on. It helps keep a humid environment so that the paint and gesso stay moist over time, even the part near the lid. It isn’t a perfect solution that lasts forever, but it does help and I seldom have the cracking/chipping issue.

Lynette
—
Lynette Cook

List name is Sciart-L