Interesting about the caution regarding water. This is true with distilled water also? I know tap can be an issue. When I find mold on my paint or gesso (and it’s rare) it tends to be a container that I have contaminated by putting my paintbrush inside (i.e. wet brush that had been in the tap rinsing water). I fill all my spray bottles with distilled, so it’s tap only in my brush rinse. I usually remember to put only a clean, dry palette knife or other utensil in the containers.

Lynette

> On Feb 3, 2019, at 2:15 PM, Michael Rothman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> Back in the old days, when I worked as an artist technical consultant at M. Grumbacher, my boss, the chief chemist who formulated our line of Hyplar acrylic paints, was very wary of adding extra water to aqueous emulsion systems.  He also felt that a good storage practice to reduce mold would be a light spray of Lysol onto the top of the paint surface before closing jars and after scraping off any fungal growth, if detected.  (Lysol in those days contained a fungicide called orthophenol-phenol, if I remember correctly.  We used store acrylic paints in glass jars with regular threads and always wiped off the glass to make sure no wet color got trapped as the standard metal/ resin coated lids were tightened.  A band of black electrical tape was wrapped around the seam and then a band of scotch tape over the electrical tape finished the job.   Nowadays, storage within a Ziplock polyethylene bag could easily replace the need for taping the container.  But I will emphasize that a!
> dding water directly to the acrylic paint mass could encourage the growth of mold over time.  Of course if you use up the slightly thinned material in a few weeks it should be an issue.  I have glass jars with metal lids which were prepped as I described above with electrical tape that contain paint we manufactured in the mid 1980's .  The paint is in excellent condition to this day.  The material I am describing was formulated with Manganese Blue pigment (Barium manganate).  I have similar samples of Cerulean Blue (Cobalt stagnate) in similar excellent shape after nearly thirty three years in storage.  I used both paints as recently as last month!
>

> Sent from my iPad

List name is Sciart-L