Make sure the lid to the product has a tight seal. Typically you want to make sure that you use clean tools and don't contaminate the main container. Pour out just what you need into a separate container. Seal up the original and store upside down. This eliminates any additional air from seeping into the container. See if this doesn't work. It will still degrade but not at such a fast rate. I've had pro white for years I just reconstitute it with water when it gets more viscous. If you are always stirring it up prior to using then your OK. When it separates the pigment precipitates to the bottom leaving the binder at the top. I'm not certain but I would guess like watercolors the binder is glycerin.
Best, Deb

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 9:50 AM, Linda Feltner<[log in to unmask]> wrote:    You bring up a good point, Bruce. Why by the "economy vat" when you know you aren't going to use it.  It's the same way I feel about maskoid or liquit frisket, or super glue. It's going to dry up after a few uses and be wasted if I by the large size. So I get the small size, pay a wee more, and start fresh each time.
 We become "trained" when small to economize, and it works for toothpaste, but not sure it works for some art materials.

 Have you thought of filling the gesso container with water on top of the gesso. gently gently, so it doesn't soak into the product, but displaces the air that dries it out?  It doesn't have to be filled to the brim, just a 1/2" coat. Then gently suction, absorb with a paper towel,  or pour it off.  If some water gets in, at least it will just make the gesso thinner, not degraded.

 Cheers, and I hope you work it out.
 Linda

    Linda M. Feltner Artist LLC
 P.O. Box 325, Hereford, AZ 85615