Good point, Bruce. I have been thinking about this all wrong, then, assuming mold spores were being introduced by tap water contamination and not already there in the substrate. 

Lynette

On Feb 4, 2019, at 2:06 PM, Bruce Bartrug <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Lynette,
In this case, distilled water wouldn't make any difference.  Minerals in water don't jump start mold, and chlorine in the water might even delay the growth for a while.  If the substrate can grow mold, it probably will.  Sometimes with a vengeance :).

bruce

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 4:53 PM Lynette Cook <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Interesting about the caution regarding water. This is true with distilled water also? I know tap can be an issue. When I find mold on my paint or gesso (and it’s rare) it tends to be a container that I have contaminated by putting my paintbrush inside (i.e. wet brush that had been in the tap rinsing water). I fill all my spray bottles with distilled, so it’s tap only in my brush rinse. I usually remember to put only a clean, dry palette knife or other utensil in the containers.

Lynette

________________________________________________

Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv


________________________________________________

Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv