Original images can be extracted out of Keynote, but the names have been changed to an internal Keynote schema.  The sam goes for Power point, but the extraction is not user friendly and may require some terminal commands...

I think you may be able to save down both Keynote and PPT to earlier versions, but opening newer files on older programs is not going to work. As long as you have both new and old versions of the program, you can work around that stuff. You can probably live with a new version of Keynote on your laptop and an older version on your desk top as long as you have access tot he laptop to convert down when you need to.

Britt