Andy, and all that have commented on this thread,

As many other departments, we have had a policy of requiring vouchers for all MS and PhD degrees for many years.  This was actually a hard fought battle here years ago.  But as Bob points out, the problem is enforcement, particularly in cases in which there is no taxonomist/systematics person on the committee (which is most committees).  Theoretically, the Dept. Head could refuse to sign a thesis or dissertation if there was no evidence of voucher specimens, but I doubt that this has ever happened here, at least.  Having said this, whenever I served on graduate committees for Entomology degrees, I had a policy of refusing to sign a thesis or disseration until I saw the voucher specimens.  I’m afraid that at the end of the day, enforcement is probably up to graduate committees.  I have no idea what percentage of graduate students here actually deposit vouchers (Karen and Ed would have a much better idea), and frankly, I am not sure I want to know at this point.

Jim

Jim Woolley
Professor Emeritus
Department of Entomology