From: AFEEMAIL Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of John Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 11:09 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [AFEEMAIL] Rogoff on MMT. a clear attack!

There is a hypocrisy displayed by the neoliberals. Its ok for the Fed to purchase mortgage backed securities and treasury bonds to raise stock prices, largely benefiting the top-twenty percent of asset holders who own 87% of the wealth. It’s not ok to use the Fed to help finance deficits to repair infrastructure, raise the incomes of workers, and fund social programs. The upshot: keep the wage-laborers unemployed and their incomes stagnant. Make them sweat. Reactionary neoliberals, Nancy Fraser’s term, refuse to raise taxes on the rich to fund social programs. Functional finance provides a viable alternative.

Thank you Jairo for sharing the article.

John P. Watkins

Professor of Economics

Westminster College

1840 South 1300 East