Hello Guy,
That's good question.  Following Polly Duryea, I discussed it as one of
Cather's self-illustrated stories, and the humanoid skull in the lower
portions of her illustration link the story backward to Elihu Vedder's
illustrated edition of Edward FitzGerald's *Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám*
(Cather's graduation gift to Louise Pound) and to her own illustrations to
"Peter" in the previous month's *Hesperian*.  That essay was in Merrill
Skaggs's *New Glimpses, Revisions *collection:

The impressive illustrations for Cather’s "A Tale of the White Pyramid"
appear in the *Hesperian*'s Christmas 1892 issue. This time the wispy lines
accompany an Egyptian sphinx.  Under the sphinx are the eye sockets of what
appears to be a massive, compressed humanoid skull. In the corresponding
illustration by Vedder, titled “The Inevitable Fate,” a watchful sphinx
“stretch[es] over the remains of Creation [representing] the destructive
side of Nature” (See Figure 6, Vedder “Notes”). The tailpiece to Cather’s
story foregrounds half of the fabled White Pyramid, dwarfing through
perspective the three great pyramids at Giza in mid-center. The smoke or
incense emanating from the top of the pyramid recalls the wispy frame of
the head and tailpieces of "Peter" published the month before.

See you all soon!

Tim