From: AFEEMAIL Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of John Harvey
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2019 7:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Are Sustainability and Public Choice schools of thought, per se?

Dear All,

I am working on revisions to my Contending Perspectives in Econ book and one chapter that I originally intended to write was on ecological economics or econ of sustainability. The existing chapters cover Neoclassicism, Marxism, Austrianism, Post Keynesianism, Institutionalism, New Institutionalism, and Feminism.

Do you consider ecological econ/sustainability a school of thought , per se along the lines of those others or is it a topic area?

Similarly, I have a colleague who uses my book and she's very keen that I add a Public Choice chapter. Same question: school of thought or subject area?

Incidentally, she is an Austrian and yet there is no one in the department whose overall philosophy regarding pedagogy and curriculum matches mine more completely. She's a wonderful person. Who would have thought?!

John

--

John T. Harvey
Professor of Economics