CFP: Musicology as Intersectional Praxis (CCD panel at AMS 2019)

2019 marks the thirtieth anniversary of the founding of the AMS’s Committee on Cultural Diversity, and in a spirit of celebration and ongoing collaboration, we invite proposals intended for a roundtable that will develop strategies for applying intersectional treatments of race to new directions in professional and social activism. We are interested in work that examines the discipline of musicology, and the AMS itself, as embedded in the tangled relations of power that structure social relations in late modernity. We seek to engage two complementary forms of intersectional thinking: (1) at the intersections of race with other forms of difference, and (2) at the intersections of theory with practice. What potentialities do our subjects—music, musicians, and listeners—and the institutionalization of difference discourses in the Society and its constituent institutions, afford to race-based activism that are unique within academia? What would an intersectional approach offer to the practice of public musicology? At this auspicious moment in the Society’s history, how can we work toward a more inclusive and equitable discipline?

Abstracts of 150-200 words should be sent to Emily Wilbourne at emily.wilbourne -at- qc.cuny.edu by May 1, 2019.