CfP: Gender, Music, and the Cold War

*Cold War and Music Study Group Alternative Format Evening Panel — AMS
Boston, November 2019*

Deadline for Submissions: April 30, 2019

Conference Date: Oct 31-Nov 3, 2019

The Cold War Music Study Group of the AMS will be holding an alternative
format evening panel exploring “Gender, Music, and the Cold War” at this
year’s national AMS conference in Boston. The relationship between gender
and Cold War politics has been an engaging area of recent research in
related disciplines and an area the CWMSG has not directly addressed
before. We invite interested participants to propose a short “anchor
document” (for example: a film clip, musical excerpt, archival materials,
oral history, field recording, novel, artwork, or another suggestion)
related to the topic of this year’s session.

Prospective participants should e-mail the CWMSG chair, Martha Sprigge
(msprigge
-at- music.ucsb.edu), with a 250–300 word proposal stating their proposed
anchor document, an overview of the larger context from which this material
is drawn, and how the perspective it lends towards thinking about the study
of gender, music and the Cold War. We particularly welcome examples that
examine the intersection of gender with race, class, sexuality, and
disability. Please submit your proposal as an anonymous pdf attachment
by *April
30, 2019*. Full details about the panel’s aims, together with information
about how to submit your proposal, are available on the CWMSG website at
the following link: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ams-2Dnet.org_cwmsg_currentamssession_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=K-rNNCFK8kq3TsMCI8kybiRHFkEB3Sp7VVZYsN-DRP0&s=XReGy4wjJ5DiVPvJqDIUrmDhwHen08hmx3tKF6NmkDU&e=

Members of the AMS who are interested in topics related to the Cold War are
welcome to join the study group. Please visit our website or e-mail the
current chair, Martha Sprigge, for more information.