Call for Papers

Max Steiner Symposium: Film Scoring in the Classic Hollywood Period

November 1-2, 2019

Brigham Young University

Provo, Utah

Proposal Submission Deadline: May 1, 2019

Proposers will be notified by May 31, 2019

The Max Steiner Symposium seeks to bring together film scholars, composers, and practitioners with an interest in the music of Classic Hollywood. We are soliciting proposals for 20-minute presentations on any aspect of film music in the Classic Hollywood period (ca. 1930-1960). Presentations can have a historical, theoretical, or practical focus. We also invite proposals for discussion panels.

A focus of this symposium will be Max Steiner’s 1933 score for King Kong. Accordingly, any symposium proposals involving King Kong are particularly welcomed. A panel of scholars and film composers will discuss this significance and impact of this groundbreaking score. Additionally, there will be a screening of the film King Kong accompanied live by the BYU Philharmonic on Saturday evening (November 2).

Steiner’s papers, original sketches, and studio recordings are kept in the Max Steiner Collection at Brigham Young University. Symposium attendees will be able to view the holdings of our Special Collections division, including the sketches to King Kong, Casablanca, and Gone with the Wind. Our Film Music Archives also holds materials for the film composers Hugo Friedhofer, Alfred Newman, Erich Wolfgang Korngold, and Jerry Fielding, among others.

Proposals are limited to 500 words and may include examples and a bibliography. Do not include any identifying information in the proposal document. Send the proposal as an attachment to steinersymposium -at- byu.edu. In the body of the email, include your name, title of the proposal, and institutional affiliation.

Symposium Organizing Committee: Jeff Lyon (Brigham Young University), Brent Yorgason (Brigham Young University), Nathan Platte (University of Iowa), Tahirih Motazedian (Vassar College)