Dear colleagues,
I’m writing with a reminder that the deadline to submit entries for the
2019 Philip Brett Award is *May 1, 2019.* I hope you’ll consider a
submission!

The Philip Brett Award <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.amsmusicology.org_page_brett&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=LU_jzMUd-4wQk7kOJ_j1ozXP_1oFW7pv5biwrA3QnXs&s=taVyJBcO4-n5JaBkiB34ULlfMOZ__0hSB92l4gaSg-k&e=>,
sponsored by the LGBTQ Study Group <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ams-2Dlgbtq.org_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=LU_jzMUd-4wQk7kOJ_j1ozXP_1oFW7pv5biwrA3QnXs&s=xozac6GLQLH_M4A1SOKuJrS4Vk2Hx5BJe-5ww3Ex6NE&e=> of the American
Musicological Society, is named in honor of Philip Brett
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__senate.universityofcalifornia.edu_-5Ffiles_inmemoriam_html_PhilipBrett2.htm&d=DwMFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=VqTVExTRbyhaBRSXmxLrgPpwHTXnwSy2Hoi99nDCrgA&s=moNSK6kcoKTm_AAIfwoHLfLmTDLIaDYF6aBdBf4qs14&e=>
(1937–2002),
one of the founding members of the study group. Each year it honors
exceptional musicological work in the field of gay, lesbian, bisexual,
transgender/transsexual studies completed during the previous two calendar
years (2017 or 2018), in any country and in any language. By “work” is
meant a published article, book, edition, annotated translation, a paper
read at a conference, teaching materials (course descriptions and syllabi),
and other scholarly work accepted by the award committee that best
exemplifies the highest qualities of originality, interpretation, theory,
and communication in this field of study. By "completion" is meant the
publication in the case of articles, books, editions, etc.; and delivery at
a conference or the like in the case of a paper. The committee will
entertain nominations from any individual, including eligible scholars who
are encouraged to nominate their own work. Individuals may receive the
award on more than one occasion.

Nominations should include the name of the scholar, a description of the
work, and a statement to the effect that the work was completed during the
previous two calendar years. The committee will contact the nominee for
additional material as needed. Self-nominations should include material to
be considered and a curriculum vitae. Nominations, including a digital copy
of all application materials, should be sent by *1* *May 2019* to the LGBTQ
Study Group Co-chairs: amslgbtq [at] gmail [dot] com.
Shana Goldin-Perschbacher, Ph.D.
co-chair, LGBTQ Study Group of the AMS
Assistant Professor of Music
Temple University