Brian: Agreed. Again, I do not imply that all neoclassicals are aware of what they are doing; indeed, I'd agree that virtually all of them do what they do without knowledge of the history of their approach nor of how damaging what they do is. Each is trying to make her own little tiny mark in a degenerative paradigm.

Anne: this seems like a good resolution and hence a good place to stop. Just a couple of responses to new issues you raised:

  1. You raise a possible conflict between keeping rates low and keeping exchange rates up. We prefer floating exchange rates so that you have the policy space to keep interest rates low and fiscal policy focused on full employment. Full employment is a more important goal than high exchange rates (which of course can impede employment--especially if you've given up domestic policy space).
  2. You agree that taxes don't really pay for government spending but worry about impacts on other sectors. The budgetary stance is largely endogenously determined, settling at a position that allows the nongovt sector to net save at its desired rate.
  3. You say truisms are contingent, depending on definitions. Further, on causation, you say we shouldn't turn a truism into causation. Yes, GDP is a constructed measure and we include a lot of "nonmonetary" stuff into nominal GDP--moving it away from an ideal measure for purposes of analysis of our capitalist economy. If I were King, I'd cut out all that imputation. Flow of funds comes closer to what we want, as a "truer" measure and so that is what "we" (followers of Godley) work with. But causation is "true", based on logic imposed by money on the system. It is not contingent. The money comes first (M-C-M', or business theory of enterprise) and the spending comes first (injections, leakages) so not only do the balances discipline the analysis but they also tell us the logic of the causation.

L. Randall Wray
Senior Scholar, Levy Economics Institute
Papers: www.levyinstitute.org/publications/?auth=287

Co-editor Journal of Post Keynesian Economics
ISSN 0160-3477 (Print), 1557-7821 (Online)
www.tandfonline.com/toc/mpke20/current

http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/mpke20/current

New Book: Why Minsky Matters: An Introduction to the work of a maverick economist, Princeton University Press http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10575.html

New Book: Modern Money Theory: a primer on macroeconomics for sovereign monetary systems, Palgrave Macmillan http://www.palgrave.com/page/detail/modern-money-theory-l-randall-wray/?isb=9781137539908

Please make note of my new email address as I will be transitioning all email to: