From: Peter Sheldon <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, May 27, 2019 at 10:58 AM
Subject: Seeking your support for upgrading the ranking of ELRR
Cc: Anne Junor <[log in to unmask]>, Peter Kriesler <[log in to unmask]

Dear supporters of the *Economic and Labour Relations Review* (*ELRR),*

The Australian Business Deans Council (ABDC) journal ranking – with its
four-part classification (A*, A, B and C system – currently ranks *ELRR* as
a ‘B’ journal within the FOR 1402 Economics category. The ABDC now invites
submissions for is ranking review process. *We believe we have a strong
case for ELRR gaining an A ranking.* For this we need your active support,
if you can help.

ABDC rankings have enormous implications for whether Australian
universities support journals. They also condition how universities
recognise and support the efforts of academic staff in producing journals.
Furthermore, universities not only strongly encourage (and reward)
academics for publishing in high-ranked journals, many also actively
discourage publishing in lower-ranked journals, irrespective of colleagues’
scholarly intentions. *Were we to achieve an A ranking, many more academics
in Australia would feel encouraged to publish their best work in ELRR.*

*In the attached ‘ELRR draft submission’, we make our case for an A ranking
based just on citation metrics (some of which we present here below but
explain more fully in the draft submission).*

*      Table 2: Comparison of ELRR to ABDC A-ranked FOR 1402 (Economics)
comparator journals*

*Journal name*

*ABDC ranking *

*SJR 2017*

*2-year Impact Factor 2017*

Southern Economic Journal

0.544

0.798

Review of Industrial Organization

0.547

0.767

Economics of Transition

0.499

0.679

Journal of the Japanese and International Economies

0.472

0.885

Applied Economics

0.445

0.750

*Economics and Labour Relations Review*

*B*

*0.393*

*0.887*

Economic Record

0.278

0.875

Scottish Journal of Political Economy

0.275

0.904

*     Table 3: ABDC A-ranked comparator journals in similar or cognate
fields (beyond FOR 1402) *

*Journal name and FOR Code*

*ABDC ranking*

*SJR (2017)*

*2-year Impact Factor 2017*

B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics 1401

0.553

0.378

*Economics and Labour Relations Review*

*B*

*0.393*

*0.887*

Sociological Inquiry 1503

0.373

0.735

International Journal of Manpower 1503

0.365

0.661

Australasian Journal of Environmental Management 1503

0.358

0.780

Alternatives: Global, Local, Political 1503

0.351

0.321

Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics 1401

0.275

Not listed

Australian Journal of Political Science 1599

0.274

0.722

Industrial Law Journal 180105

0.249

Not listed

Political Science Quarterly 1599

0.228

0.426

Legal Issues of Economic Integration 180105

0.175

Not listed

Nonetheless, four aspects, which we who support the journal see as core to
its purpose, make it harder to make the case only on straight journal
metrics. These four aspects are that *ELRR*:

   - is *multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary* (economics and labour
   relations, broadly construed);
   - promotes research and discussion of and through *heterodox approaches*;
   - promotes *policy-oriented* research that highlights questions of
   in/equality and human rights; and
   - has a focus on research regarding *economic and labour relations in
   Australia* (alongside an interest in more generalised knowledge and
   studies of other countries).

The ‘ELRR draft submission’ deals with the first point. The other attached
document (‘Appendix 1 ELRR Impact‘ provides evidence regarding achievements
on the other three points.

*ELRR** invites all who support the journal’s purpose to do so through this
ABDC review process. You can do this in one of two ways*:

   1. *Reply by email saying you support our application for re-ranking to
   an A journal*. Please provide us with your name, title and institutional
   affiliation. We will add this to our submission in the form of a supporting
   petition. Please send me your response by 17.00 Thursday 30 May (East
   Australian time). (Please NB, Australia is c. one day ahead of much of the
   Americas and about 9 hours ahead of much of Europe.)

   *This is, by far, **the easiest and quickest wa**y to support **ELRR*.
   It is also one most amenable to sharing with your colleagues who might also
   like to support our journal, and where possible your department, unit or
   institute;
   2. *You can also submit an application in favour of an upgrading of *
   *ELRR**’s rank directly to the ABDC review portal*. This is much more
   onerous but also very persuasive. In this, if you have time, you could use
   any of the material in that attached documents that you find useful and
   most persuasive.
   The submission portal is open until next Friday, May 31 (East Australian
   date/time) via:
   https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__abdc.edu.au_journal-2Dquality-2Dlist-2Dsubmission_upgrade_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=LtbujWNPdbzw6j8eq9-RJVMBctp9ndCoqGEy57VsNLQ&m=N_PdujL63wBR0_Sg9JkScpur5RFJfnx-WZ7knPL95Rg&s=SZjJNJOIT9-jmvLcHDLTmyRd4LcHu8QAF7mx7xJ1GGs&e=

   On behalf of the Editors-in-Chief and all of who contribute to *ELRR*,
   Thanking you in advance for any past and future support,

   Peter

*Peter Sheldon*

Professor | School of Management

Director| Industrial Relations Research Centre

UNSW Business School

UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052 AUSTRALIA

E: *[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>*

T: +61 2 9385 7177

W: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.business.unsw.edu.au_our-2Dpeople_petersheldon&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=LtbujWNPdbzw6j8eq9-RJVMBctp9ndCoqGEy57VsNLQ&m=N_PdujL63wBR0_Sg9JkScpur5RFJfnx-WZ7knPL95Rg&s=eN6eqnHyyDW9ioC9TBGYeUMzF6ktrlOGqqPlRaxFyZE&e=

CRICOS Provider Code 00098G

  <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.unsw.edu.au_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=LtbujWNPdbzw6j8eq9-RJVMBctp9ndCoqGEy57VsNLQ&m=N_PdujL63wBR0_Sg9JkScpur5RFJfnx-WZ7knPL95Rg&s=l6pJLi1npPdmV1I3H6qhvrDizDDCEnDqUqF8kmRuqnI&e=>
[image: cid:[log in to unmask]] <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.unsw.edu.au_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=LtbujWNPdbzw6j8eq9-RJVMBctp9ndCoqGEy57VsNLQ&m=N_PdujL63wBR0_Sg9JkScpur5RFJfnx-WZ7knPL95Rg&s=l6pJLi1npPdmV1I3H6qhvrDizDDCEnDqUqF8kmRuqnI&e=>