From: Peter Sheldon <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, May 27, 2019 at 10:58 AM
Subject: Seeking your support for upgrading the ranking of ELRR
Cc: Anne Junor <[log in to unmask]>, Peter Kriesler <[log in to unmask]>

Dear supporters of the Economic and Labour Relations Review (ELRR),

The Australian Business Deans Council (ABDC) journal ranking – with its four-part classification (A*, A, B and C system – currently ranks ELRR as a ‘B’ journal within the FOR 1402 Economics category. The ABDC now invites submissions for is ranking review process. We believe we have a strong case for ELRR gaining an A ranking. For this we need your active support, if you can help.

ABDC rankings have enormous implications for whether Australian universities support journals. They also condition how universities recognise and support the efforts of academic staff in producing journals. Furthermore, universities not only strongly encourage (and reward) academics for publishing in high-ranked journals, many also actively discourage publishing in lower-ranked journals, irrespective of colleagues’ scholarly intentions. Were we to achieve an A ranking, many more academics in Australia would feel encouraged to publish their best work in ELRR.

In the attached ‘ELRR draft submission’, we make our case for an A ranking based just on citation metrics (some of which we present here below but explain more fully in the draft submission).

      Table 2: Comparison of ELRR to ABDC A-ranked FOR 1402 (Economics) comparator journals

Journal name

ABDC ranking

SJR 2017

2-year Impact Factor 2017

Southern Economic Journal

0.544

0.798

Review of Industrial Organization

0.547

0.767

Economics of Transition

0.499

0.679

Journal of the Japanese and International Economies

0.472

0.885

Applied Economics

0.445

0.750

Economics and Labour Relations Review

0.393

0.887

Economic Record

0.278

0.875

Scottish Journal of Political Economy

0.275

0.904

     Table 3: ABDC A-ranked comparator journals in similar or cognate fields (beyond FOR 1402)

Journal name and FOR Code

ABDC ranking

SJR (2017)

2-year Impact Factor 2017

B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics 1401

0.553

0.378

Economics and Labour Relations Review

0.393

0.887

Sociological Inquiry 1503

0.373

0.735

International Journal of Manpower 1503

0.365

0.661

Australasian Journal of Environmental Management 1503

0.358

0.780

Alternatives: Global, Local, Political 1503

0.351

0.321

Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics 1401

0.275

Not listed

Australian Journal of Political Science 1599

0.274

0.722

Industrial Law Journal 180105

0.249

Not listed

Political Science Quarterly 1599

0.228

0.426

Legal Issues of Economic Integration 180105

0.175

Not listed

Nonetheless, four aspects, which we who support the journal see as core to its purpose, make it harder to make the case only on straight journal metrics. These four aspects are that ELRR:

  • is multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary (economics and labour relations, broadly construed);
  • promotes research and discussion of and through heterodox approaches;
  • promotes policy-oriented research that highlights questions of in/equality and human rights; and
  • has a focus on research regarding economic and labour relations in Australia (alongside an interest in more generalised knowledge and studies of other countries).

The ‘ELRR draft submission’ deals with the first point. The other attached document (‘Appendix 1 ELRR Impact‘ provides evidence regarding achievements on the other three points.

ELRR invites all who support the journal’s purpose to do so through this ABDC review process. You can do this in one of two ways:

  1. Reply by email saying you support our application for re-ranking to an A journal. Please provide us with your name, title and institutional affiliation. We will add this to our submission in the form of a supporting petition. Please send me your response by 17.00 Thursday 30 May (East Australian time). (Please NB, Australia is c. one day ahead of much of the Americas and about 9 hours ahead of much of Europe.)

    This is, by far, the easiest and quickest way to support ELRR. It is also one most amenable to sharing with your colleagues who might also like to support our journal, and where possible your department, unit or institute;
  2. You can also submit an application in favour of an upgrading of ELRR’s rank directly to the ABDC review portal. This is much more onerous but also very persuasive. In this, if you have time, you could use any of the material in that attached documents that you find useful and most persuasive.
    The submission portal is open until next Friday, May 31 (East Australian date/time) via: https://abdc.edu.au/journal-quality-list-submission/upgrade/

    On behalf of the Editors-in-Chief and all of who contribute to ELRR,
    Thanking you in advance for any past and future support,

    Peter

Peter Sheldon

Professor | School of Management

Director| Industrial Relations Research Centre

UNSW Business School

UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052 AUSTRALIA

E: [log in to unmask]

T: +61 2 9385 7177

W: https://www.business.unsw.edu.au/our-people/petersheldon

CRICOS Provider Code 00098G

cid:<a href=[log in to unmask]" border="0">