This is of interest to me, too. If/when I need surgery for cataracts, my inclination would be to maintain my nearsightedness and adjust for distances with lenses.

Mine is somewhat more complicated, as I’m also presbyopic. So I can read at about 4 or 5 inches, can’t focus after that without prescription reading glasses. Sometimes I do just layer a pair of drugstore glasses over my distance, and that helps with focusing in the “middle ground”.

I cannot wear bifocals… as the distortion is too great. It literally makes me motion sick.

Interesting that my ophthalmologist told me I have early stage cataracts. He also messed up my prescription, and then his in-house optical shop wouldn’t/couldn't produce a pair of usable glasses (you’ll get used to them, they said). At that point, I decided I really did want to pursue rimless glasses (which everyone told me they couldn’t make in my scrip). I dug out my old Lindberg frames and found an optometrist in Chicago who works with Lindberg frames. He is wonderful and worked with my (30-yr old) frames. First set of lenses weren’t quite right (the lenses were apparently cut out of the blanks at slightly different angles - he picked up on this). The optometrist ordered a new left lens, and it was perfect. Oh he said there is no sign of cataracts… and he showed me exam results and explained in detail. Yes they use machines as part of the exam, but it is followed up by the optometrist who does a proper exam.

Can’t afford multiple glasses - one pair runs over $1000 (frames and high index lenses, with only anti-glare). But I really love rimless glasses as there is nothing to interrupt my field of vision.

It is always a bit of a battle, isn’t it.