Brie...
I had the same situation, i.e., I was terribly near-sighted and didn't want
to lose the ability to see near subjects.  Also, knowing and experiencing
situations involving depth of field with a variety of photographic
equipment, I was quite sure that it would be much easier to correct near
vision for different working distances than it would be to correct distant
vision to those same circumstances.  Besides two pairs of distant glasses
for driving I also have a lens set corrected for computer monitor
distance.  This pair also allows me to read to nearly my current
near-sighted condition.  I also have a a pair of reading glasses to poke
around in maps and similar.

Olivia....
Recovery from the surgery is very fast.  Next day, maybe two days at most.
However, after both eyes were done (the ophthalmologist didn't want to do
both at the same time, as if there was some unexpected occurrence it might
affect vision in both eyes....one of those 1 in 1million things that always
happen to me), I had to wait a month to six weeks before she would
prescribe and fit glasses for distance.  The reason being the eyes take
some time to adjust to the surgery.  In my case I was sort of lucky, as I
was almost exactly half as near-sighted as before the surgery, and therefor
my old reading glasses were good for distance so I could drive....at least
the store and post office.... and the ophthalmologist's office :).

List name is Sciart-L