Thanks, Logan. I watched this as someone who has a little bit of
interest invested in a person who has been doing armored/rattan combat
in the SCA for 40+ years now. :) I thought it was interesting that his
conclusion seemed to be that rattan fighting probably posed less risk
than what HEMA is doing. (Admittedly I know very little about HEMA.) The
"perceived risk" metric was also interesting--I know the general
perception out there is that armored combat in the SCA is more dangerous
than steel combat, so by that metric it would seem armored fighters
would tend to take fewer safety risks. I don't really know how our
cut-and-thrust compares with what the organizations he was talking about do.

Elasait