It is interesting to be reminded of this: "Otherwise, the American dream was available to anyone who could pay a 50-cent tax (about $12 in current dollars) and was not a “convict, lunatic, idiot or any person unable to take care of himself or herself without becoming a public charge.”

It makes me wonder how the Shimerdas got their son Marek past the immigration officers.  Was he based on a real person?  Has anyone investigated this issue?  May I call "dibs" if nobody has yet?!

Susan
Susan Lynn Meyer
Department of English, Wellesley College, Wellesley MA 02481
Recent books:
Matzah Belowstairs (Lerner, Kar-Ben Books 2019).
Skating with the Statue of Liberty (Penguin Random House 2016).
New Shoes (Holiday House 2015).

Recent awards:
New York State Charlotte Award.
Jane Addams Peace Award.