I wonder if it’s a good idea to subject long-dead writers of a different era to the politically correct standards of today. “Judge not, that ye be not judged” perhaps applies.

Robert Garnett

Professor Emeritus of English

Gettysburg College

From: 5 Bank Street: The Listserv for Willa Cather Scholars <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Betty Jean
Sent: Saturday, July 20, 2019 5:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [5BANKSTREET] Cather for our time . . . again

I agree that Bret Stephens is to be avoided whenever possible, but who among us can ignore a paean to Cather, even a badly written and poorly reasoned one? Yes, she still had much to learn about  her country's history, circa 1918, but she got there, covering the Navajo expulsion as "an injustice that cried to Heaven (Archbishop) and finally returning to the lessons of her youth, with one of her role models a grandmother who aided and abetted a runaway slave on "the road to freedom" (Sapphira).

Cather's depiction of Czech immigrants in My Antonia gave hope to their President Masaryk, who wrote to Cather his appreciation, beginning a correspondence that would serve as one of their few comforts as the Nazi threat loomed over Europe and the world.

She did often have her finger on the pulse, especially for those of us who believe the heartbeat of this country is in the fate of the immigrant, the people of the pueblo, the freed slave, and yes, the girls and women we can and must save from bondage and rape.

Keeping the faith,

Betty Jean

Sent from my iPhone