Dear Janis,
     I’m in total agreement.  Many years ago (I’m 85 and have been retired for some time) a student was writing a dissertation on racism in Willa Cather.  I tried to be fair and neutral, but I was deeply upset.  Of course it’s there, but that’s true of so many of the fine writers of the period.  The best I could do was to say that there’s so much richness in Cather that I would have preferred he had chosen a different topic.
     I fretted about this situation for years, worried about what it says about me.  But can we go back and apply the standards of today, with all we have learned in the past decades, to the great writers of the past?  I don’t have the answer.
         Kindest regards,
               Marilyn Berg Callander

Sent from my iPad